Constant Brouerius van Nidek wrote:
> On Friday 09 November 2007, Dave Howorth wrote:
>> Constant Brouerius van Nidek wrote:
>>> Have probably missed a RandR discussion. But assuming that this is
>>> already an older problem, is there a workable solution?
>> what RandR problem?
>
> On my desktop I cannot change the screensize of my desktop. At the moment I
> have problems while working in a 1600x1200 environment. My normal workplace
> has for better readability 800x600.
> With the the desktop configuration I get "Your server is using the RandR
> extension at version 1.2 or greater which does not have any configuration
> yet"
> A google found a lot of complaints about this RandR (whatever that may be)
> and
> I assumed that on our list there must have been some discussions which I may
> have missed because I was not yet on Suse 10.3.

Hi Constant,

this is not related to your problem. I have the same message when right
clicking on the (KDE) desktop and then choosing Configure
Desktop/Display/Size&Orientation.

However if your X is properly configured, this does not do any harm. You
can always switch through your properly configured resolutions by using
Ctrl-Alt-"+" respectively Ctrl-Alt-"-". For example I am using 1600x1200
(voluntarily) and can cycle through:
 1600x1200, 1280x1024, 1024x768,800x600 and 640x400

I am unclear what is causing your problem and do not have any
information about your graphics board, driver, monitor and the like.

In general, this is what I would try:

Use yast2 to remove anything in regards to beryl, compiz, compiz fusion,
ATI or Nvidia. This is just to go back to square one, using a "plain old
generic opensource driver"-

open a console and login as root

copy your /etc/X11/xorg.conf to a backup name ex. "xorg.conf.1600"

remove your xorg.conf and do "init 3"

start sax2 with a non existing xorg.conf. I used this several times to
force sax2 to ignore any previous configurations.

There are parameters for sax2 that achieve the same and moreover you can
adjust sax2 according to your graphic card, which you do not mention.

Then in sax2, properly configure your monitor and resolution. If that
will not work, I would try to test something like "svga800x600" or
similar as your monitor type.

On a side note, if you are using nvidia or ATI:
I am confident that for 800x600 you will not need to install the ATI
drivers nor the Nvidia drivers. The generic NV respectively Radeon
drivers will do very good, at least for now until you get something like
a working screen. Afterwards you might save your existing configuration
and start installing whatever you need in regard to drivers or eye candy.

Finally, after you are satisfied with the sax2 test results, reinitiate
the graphical interface with "init 5" and let's see what you get.

Please report back what you achieve and do not forget to mention
-what graphics board you are using,
-which driver (if any) and
-what type of monitor is attached. Furthermore whether you are using
-32 or 64 bit SUSE.

At least we know that you are on 10.3, now.

Kind regards and good luck
Eberhard