On Sun, Nov 11, 2007 at 11:50:35AM -0700, Tom Patton wrote:
> Since Sprint has published a set-up guide for LINUX, I'm considering
> rewarding their simple acknowledgment of us by giving it a shot...gotta
> be better than dial-up!
>
> In the guide, they state that the maximum connection speed "is limited
> by the current generic usbserial driver to approximately less than
> 500kbps.".

It is true that the "generic" usbserial driver is a slow thing, but that
is by design.  It was not made to run "real" devices like these kinds of
cards at all, and I (as the author of such code) would never recommend
that anyone do that.

Instead, use the "sierra" and "option" drivers instead, which are
specifically written for these devices and work very well.

So don't follow Sprint's instructions about the kernel stuff at all,
just plug your device in and the correct driver will be bound
automaticlly to the device with no needed help from you at all.  This
should work just fine with the 10.3 release.

But you will have to do the ppp configuration on your own, I don't think
that NetworkManager can handle this automatically just yet, but I do
know those developers are activly working on it.

> Can anyone here report on their success with these cards, and if the
> above limitation is accurate?

I've tested lots of these different cards out and had great success with
them.

> I am considering the Sierra (USB) Air Card 595U as it has an external
> antenna connection.  (I am 7 miles from a tower, and beyond DSL or
> cable)

I'd recommend anything from Sierra Wireless right now.  They have been
actively working with the Linux kernel community to support their
devices on Linux.  Because of this, their devices are supported the
best, they seem to run the fastest, and if we have problems with them,
we have good contacts to solve the issues.

Other wireless vendors have noticed this and are trying to work to catch
up (option and others), and do have their devices working on Linux, but
not necessarily at the same performance or support level yet.

If you have any problems with these devices, please let me know.

thanks,

greg k-h