On Sun, 2007-11-11 at 11:50 -0700, Tom Patton wrote:

> I am considering the Sierra (USB) Air Card 595U as it has an external
> antenna connection.  (I am 7 miles from a tower, and beyond DSL or
> cable)

Well, Folks!  I am pleased to report that the Sprint/Sierra AC595U is
working beautifully on opensuse 10.2, following a very simple modprobe
restart to the serial driver.  I am in the sticks, and getting a rather
solid 22kB/s, with no external antenna...that will improve, I'm sure.
Sprint tells me they are scheduled to upgrade this location to EV-DO
next May.  As it is, it sure beats the dial-up rate I had of 3.6 kB!

I can't wait to try it in Albuquerque in the morning...

Greg KH, you are the man of the hour, Sir!

Tom in NM
ps...this is on a ThinkPad R40