Ken Schneider wrote:
> Ed McCanless wrote:
>
>> Ken Schneider wrote:
>>
>>> When using kmid to playback a karaoke .mid file I get no sound being
>>> sent to my sound card. It's a USB sound card so I plainly see when data
>>> is sent to it. This is on a fresh install of 10.3.
>>>
>>> Ken
>>>

>> Ken,
>>     Just in case you don't have a solution yet, here's what I did with
>> kmid on Suse 10.3 (I just installed 10.3 last week.)
>>     Kmid did not play at first, which I've learned to expect.
>> So, I started timidity.  Command:   timidity -iA -B8,2 -Os
>> Then restarted kmid and went to Settings> MIDI Setup> Select MIDI
>> Device... and tried timidity ports till I found one that works.
>>

> timidity doesn't show as a map device to select from, can you be a
> little more specific please?
>
>  In my
>
>> case it was the first timidity port.
>> It plays my .mid files fine, hope this helps you.
>>
>>                                      -ED-
>>

> Ken

TiMidity must be running before you start Kmid for this to show.
Start  it with the Command:

    timidity -iA -B8,2 -Os

The last option is not a zero, it is a capital O. Make sure the little
bouncing startup icon goes away before you start kmid.
On both my systems, 10.1 and 10.3, from the GUI I click Settings, which
gives a drop down list. I choose MIDI Setup...  which gives a dialog box
with the list:
     Select MIDI device you want to use:
        Midi Through  Midi Through Port-0 - ALSA device
       TiMidity  TiMidity Port-0 - ALSA device
       TiMidity  TiMidity Port-1- ALSA device
       TiMidity  TiMidity Port-2- ALSA device
       TiMidity  TiMidity Port-3 - ALSA device

Highlight the first timidity option and click OK. If kmid doesn't play,
try again using the next timidity port, until you have found the one
that works.

If you are trying to do this from a command line, or if you don't see a
list similar to the one above, I'm afraid I can't help much more. It
took me about 3 months, a couple of years ago, to gather this much info.
Most of my other command line knowledge is for running lillypond, and
some video work.

Best of luck, and if it doesn't work, may we find better help;

                                  -ED-