> A friend of mine in the UK is looking for examples of Linux and/or open
> source being used in public administration. I've named quite a few of
> the German examples, but if anyone's got a list or useful resources,
> I'd much appreciate it. From anywhere.

Could you be a little more specific? Which one did you mention already?

There's a lot of different kinds of administration. Not that I can
name more projects than you, probably. I only know from media not
being involved into any of that.

For local authorities:

For me the city of munich was most present in the media. Their Projekt
Limux became known because somehow (politically directed?) they
discussed about software patents at some point. As far as I know they
migrated the desktop of their mayor already.
http://www.muenchen.de/Rathaus/referate/dir/limux/89256/
and in english
http://www.muenchen.de/Rathaus/dir/limux/english/147197/index.html

More silently the (much smaller) city Schwäbisch Hall switched.
http://www.schwaebischhall.de/Linux.1630.0.html

There's no state known which even has plans to migrate. According to
the federal constitution in this level should be the biggest part of
administrative tasks / personnel. I know from Berlin (which is a state
and a local authority as well) that they discuss about. But not in an
advanced stadium.

On federal level there's the parliament administration on server side
and the ministry of foreign affairs (the latter even run their
notebooks on linux).

> It appears that local government in his part of the world is only
> interested in negotiating with <youknowwho>, and the local Linux User
> Group is trying to suggest anopther angle :-)

Same here in Germany, I think. They have to fulfill some tasks given
by the state. I could imagine that that this includes the use of
certain software. But there's a wide range of local
self-administration. Maybe some communities migrated for this tasks
but didn't make it public?

It's nice seeing some local administrating opening their mind. But as
long as there's no state (e.g. fiscal authorities, police, ...)
changing there's no real progress. The states seem not to have the
right touch for developing software so they probably think it's better
to buy a "ready" system not to configure their own.

Johannes