On Saturday 24 November 2007 09:17, Constant Brouerius van nidek wrote:
> Have changed now completely to 10.3 and was happy until I wanted to burn an
> copy of the Opensuse 10.3 life for a friend.
> K3B told me that there seems to be no carom drive installed. Looking
> further into the problem I also found that an inserted CD or DVD did not
> show up with the well known question what to do with the inserted medium.
> Looking into the hardware list of Yast I did not find any trace of a CD/DVD
> ROM. I know I have used the DVD to install 10.3 and I know that everything
> worked fine as I was burning my first copy of the life CD some week ago.
> Where did the CD vanished to? Could be that this phenomena was already
> discussed and I may have missed it. A google did not show up my problem but
> masses of USB problems etc..
> Could somebody see me through my search for my CD ROM drive?

I know you've looked in YaST, but what is the output from

/usr/sbin/hwinfo | grep cdrom

Is it really blank?

If so, does the CD/DVD drive work? It is possible that drive died, or maybe a
cable has come loose.  Do you have another bootable disk that you could try
booting with or even another OS installed to test the drive with?

--
Don