Mandag 26 november 2007 21:06 skrev Jason Craig:
> Sorry, I've been struggling to find any information on this, mainly
> because it is difficult to find proper search terms.
>
> Say I've installed some software, like PostgreSQL, that adds a beautiful
> script to /etc/init.d/ that starts or stops the server.  Now I want to
> start the server in, say runlevel 3, so I know I need to add links to
> /etc/init.d/rc3.d/ but I'm having trouble finding information on the
> proper way of doing this.  Can anyone point me to some documentation, or
> give a quick explanation of the numbers, letters etc. used in these
> symlinks?
>
> thanks,
> --Jason

I'd put it somewhere late in the runlevel sequence of events. Like, say 30 or
so. On my SLES10 it's killed as no 10 and started as no 12.

As root, goto /etc/init.d/rc3.d and do:

ln -s ../postgresql S30postgresql

Symlinks preceded by an "S" starts stuff. "K" kills stuff. See "man init.d"

Actually I wouldn't do it by hand at all. I'd use YaST under System, Runlevel
services. In there, I'd set it to run in runlevel 3 (and 5 for that matter).
I'd also use YaST to start and stop the service. That should really do it.