Hello to All,

After many hours of frustration, I was able to install openSuSE 10.3 to a USB
drive for my Toshiba Laptop. I had followed the information on the Wiki to no
avail, it would never boot. So here's how I got it to work for me. First, I
don't know if you will have the same challenge or success.

LAPTOP - Toshiba A135-S4427,  1.73  Ghz Centrino Core Duo CPU (T2250), 1 GB
RAM, 120 GB SATA internal HD
                   SuperMulti DVD, 15.4" TruBrite widescreen, Intel
Pro/Wireless 3945ABG network card.  Vista Home Prem
                   pre-installed.

USB - 60 GB  WD IDE Drive

1.  I entered SETUP and disabled the internal SATA drive  (Shift + 1)
2.  Used 32 bit 10.3 GM DVD (downloaded) to install the software to the USB
drive
3.  Set the bootloader to /boot (not /root as was in the Wiki instructions)(and
not to MBR of USB drive)
4.  Completed the initial phase installation and when reboot, told it to "Boot
from Harddrive"
5.  It booted the USB drive flawlessly and completed the installation
6.  Rebooted without DVD, it again booted the USB drive (sata still disable)
7.  Entered setup and enabled the internal SATA drive (Shift + 1)
8.  Rebooted and chose each drive to test for booting and all works.

What I should note is that I choose the OS to boot by hitting F12 at the boot
up prompt and then select which
drive I want to boot.  Works flawlessly.

Then only issues I have are that the Intel 82801 sound card does not work, but
works with OSS 10.3 Live CD
so I have to work on that.

YMMV

--
Keith Boykin
You are what you think - so always think positively!