On Sun, Dec 02, 2007 at 07:44:59PM -0500, Jerry Feldman wrote:
> I'm updating a Linux presentation, and I'm looking for a good
> description of /sys. I already have a good piece on the /proc pseudo
> file system,, but not on /sys.

What specifically do you want to know about /sys?

It's a virtual filesystem, a portion of which exports the internal
relationship between all real and virtual devices that the kernel knows
about.  It contains one value per file, in text for, with the exception
of a very few binary files that are "pass-through" directly to to the
raw hardware.

It also contains mount points for debugfs (at /sys/kernel/debug), and
securityfs (/sys/kerenel/debug).

Does that help out?

If you have specific questions, feel free to ask.

I'd be interested to see what you have for /proc as well, because over
time, it has been migrating to a "process things only" information.  All
device and other system-wide information things have been moving to
/sys.

thanks,

greg k-h