On Mon, 3 Dec 2007 05:12:13 -0800
Greg KH <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 03, 2007 at 07:32:21AM -0500, Jerry Feldman wrote:
> > On Sun, 2 Dec 2007 19:59:45 -0800
> > Greg KH <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > > What specifically do you want to know about /sys?
> > >
> > > It's a virtual filesystem, a portion of which exports the internal
> > > relationship between all real and virtual devices that the kernel knows
> > > about.  It contains one value per file, in text for, with the exception
> > > of a very few binary files that are "pass-through" directly to to the
> > > raw hardware.
> > >
> > > It also contains mount points for debugfs (at /sys/kernel/debug), and
> > > securityfs (/sys/kerenel/debug).
> > >
> > > Does that help out?
> > >
> > > If you have specific questions, feel free to ask.
> > >
> > > I'd be interested to see what you have for /proc as well, because over
> > > time, it has been migrating to a "process things only" information.  All
> > > device and other system-wide information things have been moving to
> > > /sys.
> >
> > Thanks. That answers my question.
>
> But it didn't answer mine to you :)

I currently only have a 1-liner in the presentation. But, I was
planning on showing the attendees how to view things like /proc/cpuinfo
and /proc/meminfo.  My audience consists of a few PHD/actuaries who
just need to be able to use Unix and Linux to run various products. The
do, however, have VMWare Workstation installed on their systems with a
Linux VM guest. I'm not sure if the guest is Ubuntu or RHEL 4. They all
have logins to various corporate Linux and Solaris systems.

--
Jerry Feldman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Boston Linux and Unix user group