Hans Witvliet wrote:
On Tue, 2007-12-04 at 07:56 -0800, Randall R Schulz wrote:
On Tuesday 04 December 2007 07:45, Neil wrote:
Hi

I live in the Netherlands, ...
Every year that goes by I regret more and more not accepting the job offer that Philips (Apeldorn) made to me in the late 80s.

Don't.

If you did accept it, there is a more than fair chance you would be out
of a job and got a drinking-habbit

It a nice country I live in:
Last couple of weeks it was several times in the news that a bunch of
yougsters attended a drinking party and went on untill they pass out.
Kids of 12 years old. Permanent brain damage.

I would almost opt for the Scandinavian mechanism: extremely strict and
horrible expensive.
JOOI, I looked this up:
http://www.eurocare.org/profiles/index.html

http://www.eurocare.org/pdf/profiles/netherlands/netherlands.pdf
http://www.eurocare.org/pdf/profiles/norway.pdf
http://www.eurocare.org/pdf/profiles/finland.pdf
http://www.eurocare.org/pdf/profiles/sweden.pdf
http://www.eurocare.org/pdf/profiles/uk.pdf

The rate of boozing does seem to be higher in the Netherlands. It's higher even than in the UK, though it did start out a lot lower.