On Tuesday 04 December 2007 17:22:24 James Knott wrote:
> Matthew Stringer wrote:
> >>
> >> Given one of the goals of RAID is to keep the system running when a
> >> drive fails,  what happens when a drive containing swap croaks?
> >
> > Your available swap space would be reduced, doesn't cause the system to
> > fail.
>
> And when it goes to retrieve the contents of that swap that's no longer
> there?  Drives do fail occasionally, when the system is running.

If you swap over multiple partitions the data is automatically striped, it
usually copes OK if a drive blobs Linux is fairly stable these days when it
comes to read/write errors. I think you're splitting hairs if you think that
sotfRAID1 gives you enough extra stability which outweighs the reduction in
performance.