On Dec 9, 2007 8:19 PM, Patrick Shanahan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> * Dave Howorth <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [12-09-07 19:56]:
> > To anybody that has the problem ... it is perhaps worth starting ooo
> > from a terminal and seeing if it outputs any diagnostics when things go
> > wrong. It might also be easier to kill it :)
>
> Nope, freezes the X display, all but the mouse pointer  :^(
>
> and you cannot recover, even by ssh'ing in and restarting xdm or
> dropping to runlevel 3 or 1.  Only a system restart recovers!
>
> - --
> Patrick Shanahan         Plainfield, Indiana, USA        HOG # US1244711
> http://wahoo.no-ip.org     Photo Album:  http://wahoo.no-ip.org/gallery2
> Registered Linux User #207535                    @ http://counter.li.org

I run into this problem, only I don't have to restart.  I hit
ctrl+alt+f1, log in, and su to root.  I init 3 and ps my username.  I
then kill all my username processes.  After that is done, I init 5 and
I'm back in business.  No reboot.

After X is back up and running, I can then go back to oocalc and the
same thing that locked up X doesn't anymore.  I go a couple of days
w/o problems with oocalc, then it starts all over.

Then I just rinse and repeat.  It's a pain.  I've tried updating,
turning off the use of java.  I'll try the suggestion about 3D to see
of that helps.