On Wed, 12 Dec 2007 05:39:44 -0000, Jason Craig <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Where does Firefox get it's file associations from, anyone know?  I
click on a PDF link, and Firefox asks if I want to save or open it, and
the only program that it shows in the "open" dropdown is KGhostView
(labeled default), which I think is far inferior to KPDF, which usually
opens my PDFs.  I found the file associations menu in Konqueror,
browsing my files, so that's nice, but are there some overriding
settings somewhere?

Furthermore, is there some way to change the behavior in Konqueror (now
I'm browsing local files) such that when I double click a text document
it will open it for EDITING instead of just for looking at it?  There
doesn't seem to be anything that controls this in the aforementioned
file associations menu, and I would far rather retain my habit of double
clicking rather than "right click, open with, kwrite".

Thanks,
--Jason

Hi Jason,
If I've understood you correctly, what you want to look at is the "embedding" tab on the right hand side of the file associations screen. Look up "txt" for example. By default it's set to use embedded viewing which means it previews within Konq. Change it so that it uses external viewer and set that to Kwrite. Same if you want to view jpegs in a separate viewer and so on. Check it out, you'll see how it works.
Hope that helps,
David