On Tuesday 11 December 2007 19:57, Carlos E. R. wrote:
> The Tuesday 2007-12-11 at 18:56 -0500, Carl Luescher wrote:
> > Out of curiosity, is
> > 1 - the config file included with the source, or
>
> Yes.
>
> /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/defconfig.rt
> /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/defconfig.rt_debug
>
> > 2 - what _makes_ an "rt" kernel in comparison to the "normal" kernel?
>
> diff -y --suppress-common-lines /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/defconfig.rt
> /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/defconfig.default | less -S
>
> What it does exactly, I dunno.
>
> --
> Cheers,
>         Carlos E. R.

Carlos, explanation is close enough, makes sense, as I've been reading up on
this too.

Marcus, yes, I now have to agree that for the regular, the default kernels are
just fine.  The rt stuff I can see as being more application specific as
perhaps in the medical or aeronautics fields.

Thank you both for your enlightening inputs!

Carl