On Wed, Dec 19, 2007 at 02:44:41PM +0100, Roger Oberholtzer wrote:

> I have installed the RT kernel on 10.3. Comes up as expected. I have yet
> to see how it will effect my data gathering applications.

Then don't use it :)

Seriously, only use the -rt kernel if you _really_ know what you are
wanting it for.  It will cause your machine to run slower overall, which
is probably not your intention...

> I also have the nvidia driver installed via YaST. When I run the RT
> kernel, of course the nvidia driver is not present. What is the best way
> to sort this out?

Don't use the -rt kernel, it will not work with the nvidia driver.

> Since I used YaST to install the nvidia driver, it
> should get updated when there is a new kernel. I do not want to mess
> that up to get it to work with the RT kernel variant. Should I just
> re-install the nvidia driver when running the RT kernel? I guess the RT
> kernel is a parallel kernel, not really a new kernel.

What do you mean "new kernel"?  It's just a different variant, one for a
specific need.

again, don't use the -rt kernel unless you really know why you want to
use it, and how to use it.

thanks,

greg k-h