Aaron Kulkis wrote:
> Joe Sloan wrote:
>>
>> Examples, please? What would be the security advantage of typing
>> "/opt/SunWzztop/bin/top" every time, instead of "top", with
>> /opt/SunWzztop/bin in the path?
>
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]:~> which top
> /usr/bin/top
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]:~>
>

> Why isn't top in /usr/bin where it belongs?

Our solaris boxes always had top and similar utilities in /opt. Maybe
it's different on solaris 10 (haven't checked), but historically, all
the old school unix vendors shipped pretty bare bones systems from a
usability point of view, and any useful extras tended to go either in
/opt or /usr/local.

We observe a few rules of thumb for the PATH of root - "." is verboten,
and world writable directories are out (actually any directory writable
by someone other than root is suspect). Other than those restrictions,
we prefer to use the path variable to make life less awkward and tedious.

Joe