> >     Anyone else seeing Beagle really kill performance? I have disabled
> > it and my machine finally is perky, but every now and then, I find it
> > in memory again. How do I arange it to chew up less memory and CPU or
> > kill it once and for all?
>
> Usually this indicates you have a problematic file (usually its broken
> or corrupt) that causes the index helper to go into a loop while
> indexing.
>
> See http://beagle-project.org/Troubleshooting_CPU for instructions on
> how to report such a bug.

A bit late to the discussion here...  I also have to kill Beagle every
time I do an install.  I tried it again with the 10.3 install I did
this weekend.  It sucked up so much of my system resources that I
could barely do anything else... this is on a *clean* default install
(not an upgrade) on an AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ with 2Gb of RAM, a /home
with basically no data, but about 1.2TB of data on other mount points.
 My CPU.. both cores.. were running about 99%.  RAM was full, and swap
was filling up as well.  The whole computer was grinding to a halt.
When I finally managed top open a terminal and run top... Beagle was
there consuming 100% of everything it could.  I left Beagle run for a
while... an afternoon... and it never changed.  Kept my CPU nice and
toasty warm though.  In the end I sopped the daemon, and removed every
trace of Beagle I could find.  The result... the computer is back to
normal.  The 10.3 install is noticeably faster than the previous 10.2
install (also without Beagle).... and I'm happy.. .although a bit
puzzled how it is that anyone finds Beagle useable.

As a contrast, I can install the Google Desktop indexer (on the dual
core system), and I never notice it is there.  It indexes roughly the
same scope of data (I think).  It never runs so that I am aware it's
indexing.  My other apps carry on with no noticeable impact on
performance.

I see a few people here saying Beagle runs fine for them with no
noticeable impact on performance... how?  I've struggled with Beagle
since it first appeared on the openSUSE scene.  I have seen it's
appalling impact on performance over several installs on several
different hardware configurations.  Not once have I seen it "work" in
any measure that could be considered good.

I will continue to try it out with each new install I do, but... i
don't hold out a lot of hope.  I've kind of lumped it  in with zmd...
another app that is on my search and destroy list for a new install.
Once those two apps are gone from a default install the computer works
great with openSUSE.