Chris Arnold wrote:
I am gonna try to explain this as clear as possible. I have an IBM thinkpad T43 and it has that other OS installed. It also has the "recovery" part on the hard drive that i do not want to destroy (as they did not ship recovery cd's with this system). I want to install suse 10.3 onto this ibm laptop without destroying the "recovery" section of the drive. The last time i tried this, i could not figure out how to do this without wipping-out the recovery section on the drive. Can anyone explain how to do this without formatting the entire drive?

What I would do... is...

Buy another 2.5" drive, and install it IN PLACE OF the
original hard drive (and for protection of the pins, etc,
put it inside a 2.5" drive USB carrier.

This way, if you ever want to boot to LoseDOS (or sell the
machine), just swap the drives again (and if you get a new
laptop...Linux is already installed on the 2.5" disk...boot
to run-level 3...play with the graphics and other hardware
that needs explicit set up..and voila, you're off and running.

but that's just me (sometimes, I would just rather spend
the money for the convenience, as long as I'm also getting
a tangible object in the whole process).