Rajko M. wrote:
> On Sunday 23 December 2007 11:03:42 pm Stevens wrote:
>
>> On Sunday 23 December 2007 18:11, Terry Eck wrote:
>>
>>> From Webster's New Collegiate Dictionary:
>>> idiot, 1: a person afflicted with idiocy; esp: a feebleminded person
>>> having a mental age not exceeding three years and requiring complete
>>> custodial care.
>>>
>>> I think you mean an ignorant person.
>>>
>> Nope. Idiot is the correct word to describe the vast majority of otherwise
>> "educated" people who sit in front of a computer. Their actions
>> fit the dictionary definition to a T. Just ask anyone who has worked
>> desktop support. I know degreed professionals that will call up and
>> tell me that they can't get on the internet when what they really mean
>> is that they cannot access a web page somewhere. They don't
>> understand what Internet Exploder or Firefox is but they know if
>> they can get into Yahoo (which is their home page). They use web-based
>> email instead of a local pop3 client only because they cannot
>> understand the difference, even after it is explained for the umpteenth
>> time. After all that, they still cannot understand that their email is
>> in some server in Northern California (with Yahoo mail, of course)
>> Etc ad infinitum.
>>
>> The scary part is that these people vote.
>>
>> I say again: IDIOTS
>>

> Stevens,
>
> Be careful calling the names and showing so little understanding how big is
> human kind knowledge.
>
> Doctor, lawyer, financial advisor, teller, car mechanic, electronic repairer,
> plumber, electrician, roofer, etc, etc, don't complain when customer can't
> describe problem or his ideas using exact names, it doesn't matter how
> educated or not is a customer.
>
> Doctor that doesn't know plumbing is not considered as unusual, but in your
> opinion the same doctor that doesn't know how to use computer is?!
> What's wrong in this picture?
>
> Computers are far more complex than plumbing, even in the most rudimentary
> use. Book that describes computer basics has few hundred pages. How many
> pages is needed to describe plumbing from A to Z ?

I don't expect people to be able to repair their computer, camera, VCR
etc.  I do expect them to make some effort to learn how to use it
properly.  A plumber or electrician not only has to know how to do their
work, but must also comply with the applicable building & safety codes
etc.  Those can total hundreds of pages.  Hopefully, your doctor has
read a book or two.  Imagine going to your doctor and saying "I'm not
feeling well, fix the problem" and not providing any further info.