On Monday 07 January 2008 16:54:54 Bill Anderson wrote:
> I think you need to get on a Unix box, and check out the actual
> structure. Linux has never followed this path, and holds to the old Unix
> structure. I have been working with Unix since 1978, and have been
> through a number of file structure changes.
>
> The point is that symbolic links are used to for backwards compatibility.
>
> As a side light, a number of the utilities that you mention are now
> shell built-ins, which take precedence over the equivalent command. For
> example, pwd is a built-in that has the -L and -P options for ksh and
> bash. The /usr/bin command does not have these options, and exists for
> Bourne shell compatibility. You might also note that under Linux it is
> /usr/bin/sh, /usr/bin/ksh, and /bin/bash.

It's worth noting that the filesystem is ruled by the Filesystem Hierarchy
Standard, http://www.pathname.com/fhs/pub/fhs-2.3.pdf

According to it, /bin must be functioning when no partitions other than / are
mounted, and thus can't be a symlink

Also, it mandates /bin/sh, even though it might be a symlink to another shell,
in most cases that is /bin/bash

There is also /usr/bin/sh but that is secondary

The same is true for ksh, it is also /bin/ksh as well as /usr/bin/ksh,
although both are symlinks to /lib/ast/bin/ksh, which is fine since /lib is
also mandatory on the / partition

For some unknown reason /bin/csh may be a symlink to /usr/bin/tcsh, so if
you're on a distribution that keeps tcsh in /usr you should perhaps not use
csh as the root shell, in case you have to do any emergency repairs without
filesystems mounted (in SuSE it is in /bin)

Anders

--
Madness takes its toll