Chris Ross wrote:

On Tue, 8 Jan 2008, Aaron Kulkis wrote:
Aaron Kulkis schreef:
Fred A. Miller wrote:
Gates Predicts End of the Keyboard in Final CES Keynote
Like most of his predictions, this too will be wrong.
[...]
When technologie improves, voicerecognition will be improved, so we just
talk to get things done...
But i love my keyboard, and i do not think it will be gone totaly..
Maybe for the consumers, but the ones writing the code, a keyboard is
most convenient i think...(used to it anyway..:)
there's the whole "natural language" problem..and natural
language is ALWAYS evolving.  I don't think too many
consumers are going to be happy with voice-recognition
which doesn't keep up with the latest slang and other
verbal atrocities.

Does anyone know of a natural language shell?

The leprechauns keep the source code hidden underneath
the coins in their pot of gold.

>                                              Whether one
> types or speaks to the computer it's still a command
> interface after all. Next he'll be predicting that
> tomorrow's games will all be Interactive Fiction.

Gates has always been rather obtuse when it comes to
the future.  The only reason anyone listens to the
idiot (how much of an idiot is he??? in his 1995 book,
there is NOT A SINGLE MENTION OF THE INTERNET) is
because he got lucky on a business deal with IBM,
and his father is a corporate lawyer.

It seems odd for Gates to suggest people would
> abandon GUIs for a command line, as though what
> most (non-geek) people hated about it was all that
typing - I thought what they dislike is remembering
> the exact commands.

Nobody ever accused Gates of being consistent.
Just like Ballmer, he says whatever he thinks
is most advantagious for himself this week.

Does saying or typing "Computer: copy all the
> MP3 files into the media folder" really make
> it more palatable than "cp -a *.mp3 /mnt/media"?

Only if you devoted your entire adult life to
telling everyone how SCARRRRRRY it is to use
commands like "cp"