Carlos E. R. wrote:

The Monday 2007-12-31 at 13:24 -0000, Dave Howorth wrote:

On Mon, 2007-12-31 at 03:26 +0100, Carlos E. R. wrote:
But I believe plain dar is. I found it to slow, though. I wish rsync could
do a little compresion...

???

$man rsync
The rsync remote-update protocol allows rsync to transfer just the
differences between two sets of files across the network connection
-z, --compress              compress file data during the transfer

I know that, but that's not what I want. I want compressed storage.

Compressed storage is great and all, right up until your
media has one more erroneous bits in a block than the
error-detecting-and-correcting code can correct.

In uncompressed data, it's an headache.
In compressed data, it's practically unrecoverable