On Sunday 13 January 2008 06:02, Basil Chupin wrote:
> Johannes Meixner wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > On Dec 7 16:44 Basil Chupin wrote (shortened):
> >> Why is OpenOffice such a bitch about printing?
> >
> > What do you think why this or that application program
> > is "such a bitch about printing"?
>
> Because it doesn't print when one attempts to print a document when all
> the settings in the Operating System (in this case OpenSuse 10.2 [and
> now 10.3]) have been correctly setup?
>
> > Obviously printing should be an important issue in particular
> > for an office program but what do you think is the base reason
> > when the actual implementation is poor?
>
> Which is the 'actual implementation [which] is poor'? OpenSuse or
> OpenOffice?

My guess is that it's probably OpenOffice, because (tragically) I do have to
support it on Windows sometimes, and it's picky about printing there too. And
I've used the OpenBSD port and struggled to get it to play ball.

Less a propos of your original question, I'm afraid the main obstacle I face
in getting Windows users to change to OO is its weak envelope printing. I
know it can be made to do it, with some printers, but when MS Word users
complain that Word is far easier to use in printing envelopes and labels I
find it hard to disagree.

--
Fergus Wilde
Chetham's Library