On 19-Jan-08, Dave Barton wrote:
> OK, I believe I have tried just about every GRUB alternative option and
> come up blank every time. In desperation, I used "fixmbr" from the XP CD
> and deleted all partitions from the second drive. Started a totally clean
> 10.3 install and accepted the default options offered. This should be the
> easiest configuration for the installer to handle, but no, on first reboot
> I am back to Error 21 and my GRUB files now show:

Error 21, I see.

> [...]
>
> /etc/grub.conf
>       setup --stage2=/boot/grub/stage2 (hd0) (hd1,1)
>       quit

Configuration looks good.

This looks like a BIOS problem:

    21 : Selected disk does not exist
         This error is returned if the device part of a device- or full
         file name refers to a disk or BIOS device that is not present
         or not recognized by the BIOS in the system.

Please check whether the BIOS is seeing the second hard drive. Also,
sometimes you may need additional settings in the BIOS to make the hard
drive accessible for booting.

I doubt this is a problem with GRUB, but to make sure you may want to
open a bug against GRUB at bugzilla.novell.com.

> In the past I have done numerous installs with Win on the first drive and
> Linux on the second and never had anything like this problem.
> Unfortunately, I don't have access to another machine with this
> configuration to check against.
>
> My real concern is that I was just about to set up one of my production
> boxes with this same configuration, but in view of this issue I must now
> seriously consider an alternative to openSUSE.

Booting from the second hard drive sometimes triggers (BIOS) problems
that booting from the first hard drive does not trigger. As Linux still
is more likely to be installed on a second hard drive, it unfortunately
sees more of these bugs. Windows usually does not see these problems at
all, as most people have it on the first hard drive.

Regards,

--
Olaf Dabrunz (Olaf <at> dabrunz.com)