Jerry Feldman wrote:
On Sun, 20 Jan 2008 12:06:02 +0100
Philippe Landau <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Did anyone ever attempt to make a systematic survey
of reasons why Linux remains such a small player ?
Of course corruption on a massive scale is involved
in selling Windows to governments and corporations.
But why is the percentage of surfers using Linux so small ?
Is it mainly because of the games or are the shortcomings
of Linux an important factor and which ones most ?

Marketing and timing. First, today Linux is a good desktop product, but
still needs a bit of polish for the average PC user. But the problem is
marketing. Microsoft buys big TV ads and has the clout and volume to
get the major PC vendors to bundle their products.  HP, IBM, SGI market
their servers with Linux, but currently only Dell even sells consumer
PCs with Linux.

Actually, Lenovo does too and I think I heard something about HP. And there are many smaller vendors that sell computers with Linux Also, both Sears & Wal-Mart in the U.S. are selling low end computers with Linux installed.