John B Pace wrote:
> You are dealing with an older dummy here, but too old! I'm wanting to
> know if there is a way to install tarballs properly in Suse. To an
> extent each version of linux I have tried are different, but in each I
> have found it impossible to install a tarball.    Thanks!   John

The installation of a program from a tarball is a fairly standard drill
in any linux distro, typically a few steps:

tar -xvf program.tar
cd program
./configure
make
make install

If program.tar is actually program.tgz or tar.gz, or tar.bz2, then the
untar command becomes tar -xzvf for gzipped files or tar -xjvf for bzip2.

Having said that, it's far far better to find a proper suse package,
rather than making a home-made build of some random tarball. If there's
no suse package available anywhere, then of course  a tarball install
will work.

So, what package are you trying to install, and what difficulties are
you running into?

Joe