On Monday 21 January 2008 06:23:48 Teruel de Campo MD wrote:
> On Sun, 2008-01-20 at 18:35 +0100, Philippe Landau wrote:
> > Maura Edelweiss Monville wrote:
> > > Since I have to use MS Office every
> > > now and then I would consider to run alternatively
> > > Windows and SuSE through WMware. Now I run MS  Office
> > > through CrossOveR.
> > > Is WMware stable  and reliable ?
> >
> > Yes, others recommend VirtualBox though (free too).
> > Or if it is just for that: Crossover Office, which is not free.
> > Which one is easier to install and backup ?
>
> VM ware is a very professional virtual system. Ain't cheap. I have
> the workstation. I tried VirtualBox, qemu and all of them worked but
> nothing is comparable to VMware. I do not use or need VMware for MS
> office. VMware is also very easy to backup. It does everything you
> can think off and more.

VMware comes in three options:
1. Workstation
2. Server
3. ESX Server

Workstation is a fully featured desktop virtualisation program that
installs on a host OS (Windows or Linux) and allows multiple guest OSs
to be installed. Has multiple snapshots and VM cloning available. Has a
price attached to it. Whether this is considered expensive depends
though.

Server is a desktop virtualisation program that is installed on Windows
or Linux and that in some ways is more limited than workstation in that
you can have only one snapshot and no cloning. However it does allow
remote connections to be made and the VMs run without the console being
open (not sure if workstation does this). Best of all, it's got no cost
attached to it.

ESX Server is an enterprise server virtualisation solution that installs
on bare metal and you then install multiple guest OSs on top. Lots of
management utilities and resource allocation per machine tools
available. Also very expensive for individual users...

Jon