James Knott wrote:
Stan Goodman wrote:
I have on the desktop some Java programs which are displayed as generic icons.
I have much better icons, or can make, much more intuitive icons for these. How
must I go about replacing one for the other?
Open the properties for the icon.  You'll see the icon on the first
tab.  Click on it, to choose another.
What, if anything, must I do to convert Windows or OS/2 icons for use in the
Llinux desktop?

IIRC, Linux uses PNG format for icons.  I don't know about others.  So,
you'll have to convert to PNG, if Linux doesn't support what you've got.

KDE can use any common image format.