On Jan 19, 2008 1:50 AM, Greg Freemyer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Chee,
>
> The solution was easy and seemed generic to any NIC that was not
> passing interrupts.  From the bugzilla:
>
> ==>
> It seems that the controller doesn't generate any interrupts, maybe a problem
> with MSI. Please unload forcedeth and load it with
> modprobe forcedeth msi=0
> ==>
>
> You are likely running a different driver, but you should try to
> unload it and then reload it with msi=0.
>
> If that works, then follow the rest of the thread for how I did the
> permanent fix.
>
> Greg
> --
> Greg Freemyer

Hi Greg,

Thanks for the pointer. I've tried that but it doesn't work. Seems
that msi=0 is a parameter specific to the forcedeth module. The module
used for RTL8168 is r8169. When I tried to run modprobe r8169 msi=0,
dmesg says it is an unknown parameter.

Nevertheless, I've found the source of the problem - Windows. XP is
installed on this machine that I'm trying the Live CD on. Turns out
that XP turns off the Wake on LAN feature when shutting down. The
r8169 driver doesn't have the ability to turn this feature back on.

To solve this problem, I gotta go back to XP, use the Device Manager
to change the "Wake on LAN on shutdown" feature to "Enable". This
solved the NIC issue completely!

Thanks the help Greg!

Now, if only someone have used Compiz-Fusion on a non-Xen kernel and a
Xen kernel...

---
How