Dear Greg KH,

I have read your documents about kernel drivers and binary compatibility.

Well, I disagree with your position. I don't think that getting all
the drivers into the kernel is good idea at all. This is because when
you have 2 competing drivers, that are doing nearly the same thing,
one of them will not be accepted.

Additionally, my philosophy says it is OK to have non-GPL (and
non-Freedom) drivers for Linux. Those cannot be inserted into mainline
of course.

Additionally, I believe it is not correct to force to developer to
maintain his driver. Keeping up with Linux changing takes up driver
developer's time. And kernel interfaces are changing too fast. I
believe having stable kernel ABI can save many work hours of driver
developer's, because they won't need to update their drivers every
time when someone else broke something.

I believe development can go without breaking _already working_
things. At least not every micro-release.

Current situation is insane - I have a real-life example: Getting
NVIDIA drivers, then updating the kernel breaks it again. I believe
NVIDIA has the right to build proprietary drivers, if they so choose.

--
-Alexey Eremenko "Technologov"