Philippe Landau wrote:
>>> For quite some time Nvidia had better support on Linux then ATI.
>>> As a consequence many Linux users have Nvidia cards now.
>>> Is ATI fully open-source now ? Is that what you would buy ?
>> Intel is fully supported, with open drivers.  That is what I would
>> recommend that you purchase.  It's what I buy with my own money.
> Great. What experience do list members have with those cards ?

Intel graphics have been great for my desktop machines - it just works,
and handles all the eye candy and effects well. I can even play some 3D
games like quake 3 arena. But the intel video does run out of gas on the
newest games - forget about quake 4. For games like that, you really
need nvidia cards. The external driver is a bit of a hassle, but nothing
else gives that kind of graphics performance on Linux.

ATI cards have always been problematic, but with the recent launch of
the effort to develop open source drivers for ATI cards, there is hope.
Not today, not tomorrow - but maybe this year, there will be something
usable for 3D applications.

> Is anybody suing them ? If not, why not ?

Hopefully common sense will continue to prevail. I never appreciated
being criminalized for installing nvidia drivers on my own damn computer.

Joe