Koenraad Lelong wrote:
Aaron Kulkis schreef:
Marc Chamberlin wrote:
I have been looking at UPS to support some of my SuSE computers and am interested in one from CyberPower. I wrote them asking if theirs would run under SuSE Linux and got the following (somewhat unintelligible geek speak) and wonder if someone on this group can translate it for me.. ;-) Does anyone here use this UPS ( CyberPower Systems CP1350AVRLCD UPS) under SuSE?

I use APC, because the explicitly support Linux, even
providing the Linux version of their powerchute program
on their website.

Right now I'm considering a new UPS. I used MGE (a sponsor
> of NUT), but they seem to be taken over by APC.
My question : do you protect more than one server with one UPS?

That depends on your circumstances.
What's the capacity of your UPS
What's the power draw of your servers?
How long does it take a server to shut down?
In light of the power draw, how much of the UPS battery
will you use up if you shut down immediately when a power
outage is connected?

How much spare time is left over -- so that you can set
the program to WAIT for, hopefully, at least 60 seconds
before starting an automatic shutdown.

> Does Powerchute provide information to the servers not
> directly communicating with the UPS ? What I mean is,
> when the UPS is exhausted, does the "master" server
> sends messages so the "slave" servers also go down
cleanly (not just power off)?

I'm not sure..it's been 3+ years since I played with it.
And since I've beeen on a laptop for the last year and
a half... I haven't even thought about it.

I'm going to be rebuilding the tower soon...but not
right now (I have other priorities at the moment).

> "Master" meaning the server that listens
to the UPS's status, "slaves" just get power from the UPS.
Can Windows be part of this setup ?

If not, you can just create a shell script that shuts
down the slave machines if powerchute starts to shut
down the master.

I looked on their web-site but I didn't find these answers, maybe I overlooked?

Download the ...I think it's a tarball(?) and then
read the README.