Koenraad Lelong wrote:
Aaron Kulkis schreef:
Marc Chamberlin wrote:
I have been looking at UPS to support some of my SuSE computers and am interested in one from CyberPower. I wrote them asking if theirs would run under SuSE Linux and got the following (somewhat unintelligible geek speak) and wonder if someone on this group can translate it for me.. ;-) Does anyone here use this UPS ( CyberPower Systems CP1350AVRLCD UPS) under SuSE?

I use APC, because the explicitly support Linux, even
providing the Linux version of their powerchute program
on their website.

Right now I'm considering a new UPS. I used MGE (a sponsor of NUT), but they seem to be taken over by APC. My question : do you protect more than one server with one UPS ? Does Powerchute provide information to the servers not directly communicating with the UPS ? What I mean is, when the UPS is exhausted, does the "master" server sends messages so the "slave" servers also go down cleanly (not just power off) ? "Master" meaning the server that listens to the UPS's status, "slaves" just get power from the UPS.
Can Windows be part of this setup ?
I looked on their web-site but I didn't find these answers, maybe I overlooked ?

The opensource alternative is apcupsd (apcupsd.org). It works flawlessly and offers many features, among them all of your requirements.

At home I use a small APC smart-ups that is monitored via usb on a linux box. This directly connected server is the master and provides all clients with the status information of the ups.
Among the clients are my Windows XP workstation and my IPCop firewall.

A quick check via http (it's a perl script) is always possible to monitor load, temperature, run time and battery capacity.

In our company the ups is a bit bigger and includes a snmp card, so all servers can query the ups directly and decide depending on their local configuration if they should shut down or not.

--
Sandy

List replies only please!