D Henson wrote:
Jonathan Wilson wrote:
On Wednesday 23 January 2008 10:22:48 D Henson wrote:
The latest mandatory update appears to have killed my server.

No, it didn't - at least not if you mean it killed your whole system.

What you /probably/ mean is that you updated either the kernel, or some part of the X system, and now it won't run the X server.

You're probably correct. The update was automatic and labeled as
                           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Trying to do everything the easy way is what got you in trouble.

mandatory. I don't know what was updated. I don't even know how to find that out.

That's what happens when you put something as critical as
updates on auto-pilot.

I think the only reason such a silly mechanism was developed
was to satisfy recent converts from Windows who are used to
trying to avoid making conscious decisions at all costs....

Even with vendors like HP, IBM or Sun, I would NEVER set up
a machine to allow a vendor to force a patch installation
without my knowledge of it -- even for their own proprietary
versions of Unix ... The risk, as you have discovered, is
still just too high.

First, it would help if you told us what you upgraded.

See previous comment.

I hope you learned a valuable lesson here.

[If you don't...it's going to happen again].

Second, it would help if you told us what kind of video card you have. Is it single or dual head (one monitor or two)?

The video card is an Nvidia Geforce 2. (Pretty old) Single monitor.

The output of lspci would be helpful.

I can't figure out how to get the output of lspci on this machine so I can send it to you. My local network is still in place. My problem is I can't get the output of ed (what happened to pico?) into a file that I can manipulate. I though >ed stuff would do it but apparently not.

You go to command line, su to root, and type the command and save
the output into a file

# lspci > lspciout

Now you've captured all of the output from lspci in the file
lspciout, so when you reply to this, you can either read in,
or include, the file lspciout

Have you considered reconfiguring your X server with "sax2" ? Make a backup of your current xorg.conf first: cp -a /etc/X11/xorg.conf /tmp/

I tried that with another problem some time ago. After about six hours, I restored xorg.config. I'll have a look though. Is there anything special I should be looking for?

Thanks,

    JW

Don Henson