Chuck wrote:

> lawl. Dude Sun and Sarc are going no where any time soon... just the
> opposite... Sparc IV+ & Solaris 10 dance circles around Linux on any
> hardware.. You need to spend some time in a true top-tier enterprise
> class data center. Linux still has scores or limitations holding it
> back in the enterprise realm. There is a reason the stuff is expensive
> -- its damn good.

I work for a fortune 100 company, and we run AIX, HPUX, Solaris, and
SuSE Enterprise Linux in our data centers. I have to smile at the idea
that solaris is somehow more robust than linux. Solaris is great, but so
is linux.

More and more, we're moving apps off of the old school legacy unix
platforms onto HP/Compaq servers running linux. And the results have
been very very good.

We have dozens of busy linux servers with over 500 days uptime - and the
uptime champ, by far for our whole enterprise? Take a guess:

[EMAIL PROTECTED]:~> uptime
  5:32pm  up 1016 days  1:24,  1 user,  load average: 2.47, 2.56, 2.36

An very busy old compaq 2450 running DB2, apache and websphere on SLES 9

Dude, there is *nothing* holding linux back here, other than fear and
ignorance - and now that the SCO lawsuit has all but died, that fear is
giving way to a new boldness - and I'm doing everything I can to fix the
ignorance.

Joe