Might be getting hot.  I have a laptop that runs hotter under MS than OpenSUSE
most of the time, except when compiling or running a lot of stuff.  Have you
noticed the fan behavior?  Does it always run at high speed, never run at high
speed?  There are a lot of tweaks you can do with regard to power management.
I wonder if the cpu is not scaling down when the load is low?

On my Thinkpad I used to have a custom speedstep/cpu scaling configuration, the
cpu ran at 200MHz most of the time, stayed nice and cool.

Linc

Lincoln Rutledge
Network Engineer
OSC Networking
800-627-6420

Sampsa Riikonen wrote:
> Dear List,
>
> I have suse 10.3 installed on a hp tx1000 laptop.
> I am using KDE.
>
> Ultimately, the system has become very unstable..
> It halts completely very frequently. I have observed
> this halt while browsing the web (it has happened both
> with firefox and the konqueror), but I suppose it can
> happen with any program..(?)

That sounds like overheating.

Rendering web pages can be very CPU - intensive.

My laptop's fan runs at a one of three speeds,
depending on CPU temp...and web browsing is the
primary cause of almost all occurances of the fan
going to its highest speed.

The solution involves managing your CPU temp, making
sure that your air inlet is kept both clean and away
from any obstruction (like resting the intake right
on your leg).  And get a laptop cooler thing that
plugs into a USB port and keeps a good airflow under
the whole laptop.