N B Day wrote:
On Sun, 2008-01-27 at 06:04 -0700, Donald D Henson wrote:
I've just spent two hours trying to find the procedure to set a netbios
 name on a Linux machine, for use in a Samba network. Can someone point
me to the procedure? I'd appreciate it.

Don Henson
In the simple case (as root) edit /etc/samba/smb.conf and add a line
near the top like:

netbios name = <NAME_OF_THIS_MACHINE>

Then rcsmb stop
rcnmb stop
(This stops the deamons)

Then testparm to see if you've done anything really stupid by accident.

Then rcsmb restart
rcnmb restart

Should do it.

This isn't usually necessary though.

Yeah, I figured it out. I knew it was easy but I had some kind of mental block. Thanks to all who responded.

Don Henson