That's exactly what I meant, but I'd use Maven instead of Anakia. Maven
understands the same xdoc syntax as Anakia, and is able to produce
nicer-looking HTML docs than Anakia. -With a neat navigation pane to the
left.

Sample page: http://boss.bekk.no/boss/middlegen/ant/table.html
Source: http://tinyurl.com/3epq

Maven vs Anakia: http://jakarta.apache.org/turbine/maven/start/anakia.html

The navigation is maintained in a separate file called navigation.xml, and
Maven weaves everything together into a nice web page. -And you can tell
Maven to generate PDF from the same xdoc files. It's already built into
maven. Just type "maven pdf".

I can really recommend Maven. -Not only for the doc generation, but for the
awesome build system it provides.

> You can read about DVSL at
> http://jakarta.apache.org/velocity/dvsl/index.html.
>
> The main thing is that the doc source should be in some simple XML
> format that's easy to edit without special tools.  The HTML and PDF can
> then be generated with whatever tools are suitable.
>
> The best argument I can think of to illustrate why keeping the doc
> source in XML is important is the same one for using WebWork over
> writing Java in JSP's--keeping the logic and data separate from the
> presentation.

Killing point :-)

Cheers,
Aslak