Rob Rudin wrote:
I think one drawback can be that you have to do some extra null-
checking. In the case of a connection, the class probably has a private instance of Connection, and when it needs to use the Connection, it might not have a guarantee that the Connection is not null - i.e. that setConnection has been called. If the class actively creates its Connection, then it doesn't have to worry about nulls. Of course, it then has to worry about database errors that might occur in getting the Connection, which it doesn't have to worry about in the IoC approach.

Thanks, but right now I want to hear Patrick's view of it. We have discussed this issue before, and concluded (if memory serves me right) that it was a bad idea. It is worrysome that he's done a 180 and seems to have forgotten what the problems were. So, in order to ensure that we have at least the same understanding of what the problems are, it's his view I'm after. Right now I'm just puzzled.

I hope that's clear enough.

regards,
  Rickard