So what do you want from a Thin Client System ?

Speaking personally, I want a system that behaves similarly every time I switch
it on, it is easy to configure, and has a good performance from the clients
viewpoint - in other words it boots reasonably quickly.

So what am I experiencing with Open ThinClient ?

The good news first....... !
I like the OpenThinClient Manager, although I have some worries which I shall
mention presently.

And the bad news........!
Should it be this slow,and why does it appear to be O.K. one day and then the
following day I will get PXE - E53 No Boot Filename Received error. I have
checked the router and it's indicating it is handing out an IP address.
I have tried to do some research about this and implemented the recommendation
about changing the boot filename  to pxelinux.0 and not with the leading slash.
OPenThin Client  is I understand listening for the IP address being given then
presumably doing its sixpennyworth or deutchmark and passing over the boot
filename.

I manually changed the filename yesterday and it seemed to work, but then
today, back comes E53 again.

So don't ask me why but  I went to Package management and right clicked to
search for updates - it gave me a message about reloading the cache and
immediately afterwards, when I booted the client, the PXE -E53 message was gone
and it booted. ( Why did this clear the error ?)

Well it not so much booted but slithered, because I always have to wait minutes
from the username and password being entered to see a desktop - which once it
reaches here seems to be stable and not that slow! Wow !

So am I getting anywhere......!
I think the answer is that I will tell you tomorrow, especially if E53 appears.
She's part of the family now and of course is a female. I will miss her if she
goes.

If you can throw any light on my problems, and have some suggestions about
getting a more pokier server (P3 currently) and some more RAM (more than the
current 500 Mb) then please contact me in my dark and lonely place.

I would like to hear from you. Remember I only have E53 for company....now 7 of
9 would be better.

I await any communications via the aether,

Regards

Dave
http://p.sf.net/sfu/splunk-d2dcopy1