On Wed, Aug 31, 2016 at 7:19 PM, David Sommerseth <
open...@sf.lists.topphemmelig.net> wrote:

> On 31/08/16 23:25, Selva Nair wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > On Wed, Aug 31, 2016 at 4:11 PM, David Sommerseth
> > <open...@sf.lists.topphemmelig.net
> > <mailto:open...@sf.lists.topphemmelig.net>> wrote:
> >
> >     > It is not being planned to remove the management interface.  If
> >     > D-Bus works well for everyone on all platforms, then we can disc
> uss
> >     > what to do next.  But as of now, I have no plans to remove this
> >     > part of the code.
> >

> > That's all what I wanted to hear -- as long as the management interfac
> > (MI) is not going anywhere, no need to panic, right? I like the simple
> > design of the current MI that makes it so easy to debug over command
> > line, support on virtually any platform without external libraries etc
> .
> > Even with D-Bus one has to still send messages specific to the
> > application and the UI developer has to learn a few new keywords. Not
> > very different from the current state of affairs unless we have a use
> > case that is not easy to support over the current MI. I have never use
> > D-Bus so no idea of the status of Windows support -- I believe the
> > reference implementation as a windows port, not sure how well maintain
> ed
> > it is.
>
> I noticed that the upstream D-Bus community have embraced the Windows
> port and included all fixes for Windows there.  So it is probably
> somewhat better maintained nowadays.  But I have not looked where to
> download things.
>
> If I've understood some of the D-Bus docs correctly, it should also be
> possible to use D-Bus without a "master daemon" running too, but that
> needs to be investigated further.
>
> No, no need to panic :)  But I think that GUI's may also have some
> advantages of using D-Bus too, such as getting a more instant
> notifications when something goes wrong, or if a user needs to
> re-authenticate.  But I am completely open to explore these areas and
> not set things to stone now.

My advice, just leave the management-interface alone, at least until a real
need for a different framework arises . It "ain't broke", so why fix it?

The amount of communication we need/have between OpenVPN and UI's is so
minimal that it shouldn't take more than an hour for a developer to "learn"
the current management "protocol". Replacing or even augmenting it with
D-Bus bringing in new dependency and a lot of bloat doesn't make much
sense; nor does it look worth the time and effort to me..

Selva