On 01/09/16 09:41, Samuli Seppänen wrote:
> Il 01/09/2016 07:33, Selva Nair ha scritto:
>>
>> On Wed, Aug 31, 2016 at 7:19 PM, David Sommerseth
>> <open...@sf.lists.topphemmelig.net
>> <mailto:open...@sf.lists.topphemmelig.net>> wrote:

>>      On 31/08/16 23:25, Selva Nair wrote:
>>      > Hi,
>>      >
>>      > On Wed, Aug 31, 2016 at 4:11 PM, David Sommerseth
>>      > <open...@sf.lists.topphemmelig.net
>>      <mailto:open...@sf.lists.topphemmelig.net>
>>      > <mailto:open...@sf.lists.topphemmelig.net
>>      <mailto:open...@sf.lists.topphemmelig.net>>> wrote:
>>      >
>>      >     > It is not being planned to remove the management interface.  If
>>      >     > D-Bus works well for everyone on all platforms, then we can disc
>>      uss
>>      >     > what to do next.  But as of now, I have no plans to remove this
>>      >     > part of the code.
>>      >
>>      >
>>      > That's all what I wanted to hear -- as long as the management interfac
>>      > (MI) is not going anywhere, no need to panic, right? I like the simple
>>      > design of the current MI that makes it so easy to debug over command
>>      > line, support on virtually any platform without external libraries etc
>>      .
>>      > Even with D-Bus one has to still send messages specific to the
>>      > application and the UI developer has to learn a few new keywords. Not
>>      > very different from the current state of affairs unless we have a use
>>      > case that is not easy to support over the current MI. I have never use
>>      > D-Bus so no idea of the status of Windows support -- I believe the
>>      > reference implementation as a windows port, not sure how well maintain
>>      ed
>>      > it is.
>>
>>      I noticed that the upstream D-Bus community have embraced the Windows
>>      port and included all fixes for Windows there.  So it is probably
>>      somewhat better maintained nowadays.  But I have not looked where to
>>      download things.
>>
>>      If I've understood some of the D-Bus docs correctly, it should also be
>>      possible to use D-Bus without a "master daemon" running too, but that
>>      needs to be investigated further.
>>
>>      No, no need to panic :)  But I think that GUI's may also have some
>>      advantages of using D-Bus too, such as getting a more instant
>>      notifications when something goes wrong, or if a user needs to
>>      re-authenticate.  But I am completely open to explore these areas and
>>      not set things to stone now.
>>

>> My advice, just leave the management-interface alone, at least until a
>> real need for a different framework arises . It "ain't broke", so why
>> fix it?
>>
>> The amount of communication we need/have between OpenVPN and UI's is so
>> minimal that it shouldn't take more than an hour for a developer to
>> "learn" the current management "protocol". Replacing or even augmenting
>> it with D-Bus bringing in new dependency and a lot of bloat doesn't make
> [...]

after reading this entire thread  I tend to agree with Selva (mostly).
Here's my recap/understanding:

- there is a desire to update the management interface , in order to more
easily manage clients from the server side. Adding
functionality using either D-Bus , REST or (god forbid) SOAP will cause extra
libraries to be added - more bloat

- on the client side, the management interface is used (extensively) by the
client GUI to interact with OpenVPN. The client
needs to remain as small and light-weight as possible, with as few external
dependencies as possible (can you spell
'pkcs11-helper' ?) Thus, here, we have the desire to keep things the way they
are, or at the very least, a strong and
understandable desire to NOT add any external libraries

So, the management interface suffers from schizophrenia: it must allow for
full-blown interaction for large-scale server setups
and it must be small and light-weight for the client.  IMHO these requirements
contradict each other. A possible solution would
be to have a separate management interface (or at least management interface
*protocol*) for client and server. A counter
argument would then be to split the client and server code completely , so that
all server support is removed from the OpenVPN
client, in order to make the client software even more light weight - is that a
route we want to take?

Therefore I tend to agree with Selva: this is a very messy problem, don't touch
unless there's an absolute need to do so.

JM2CW,

JJK