On Fri, 18 Apr 2003, James Yonan wrote:

> I'm forwarding this discussion of an interesting feature request.  Namely,
> could (and should) OpenVPN have a channel bonding capability, where more than
> one UDP connection over different paths is used to connect two peers, and
> OpenVPN does channel bonding, load balancing, and failover among the
> connections?  Or does this function not belong in OpenVPN since it is
> functionally distinct from the role of network security and tunneling and
> could be implemented as a module or driver apart from OpenVPN?

I'm not necessarly sure it belongs in OpenVPN, but then again, I can see
the advantages to automatically failover to other links.  Perhaps
abstracting things out in the code a bit that it would be possible to have
multiple methods of sending data out to the world, perhaps even non-ip
methods.  Or even implementing something as tunnelling over TCP(I do know
the reasons why you don't want to do this, but in some cases you don't
have a choice, and are willing to eat the performance loss).

Regards,

Aaron