I may have a worst case senario, and hopefully someone has an idea as to what
might be wrong. Sorry for the length...

Thanks in advance...

Set up is as follows:

(winXP-home, wireless with Novell VPN Client) -> http-proxy -> linux server

I've tried both 1.5.0 and the latest 1.6beta with both tun and tap. Also both
manual and automatic IP config.

I can get the VPN connection established over the proxy. However the WinXP
interface never seems to recieve any packets. Using tcpdump on the linux end
and windump on the XP end I never see a packet recieved on XP.

Pinging XP -> linux you see both the echo request and echo reply in tcpdump on
linux. Windump sees only the echo request.

Pinging linux -> XP tcpdump on linux sees the echo request. windump sees
nothing.

Arp seems to work, as I can see arp requests and replys and the arp table on
each machine seems to be correct.

Strangely, the packet counter on the WinXP "Local Area Connection 2" dialog
increases as the ICPM pings come in, but they do not make it to windump. The
openvpn console windows on both linux and XP show the rW etc. as the packets
are written/recieved.

Using nmap on the linux machine: with tcpdump you can see the packets go out on
linux, they are not seen on windump. UDP as well as TCP.

command line on linux: --dev tap --mssfix --tun-mtu 1500 --tun-mtu-extra 32
--verb 5 --proto tcp-server

XP command line is complementary.

I've also tried smaller mtu values (with the appropriate change on the XP tap
adapter)