As OpenVPN gets deployed at larger and larger corporations as a roadwarrior VPN server, I think it becomes more and more important that it's possible to change as much of the server configuration as possible without having to restart the server and causing all users to be disconnected.

One thing that I've had to do a few times is adding routes that it beeing pushed to the clients. If I put the configuration in a ccd file, I can add routes without restarting the server. But if I want to add a route that should be pushed to all clients, I need to put it in the main config, and then I can't have it updated without restarting the server, right?

How do the future look like for OpenVPN?

Is using a client-connect script to generate default options the way this should be handled in the future, or should we solve it some other way?

Perhaps we could have a file in the ccd dir named default that could hold all the client options that we today put in the main config that will be re-read when a new client connects?

I also see the need for being able to "kill" a client instance without having to restart the server.

Say that you have a star site-to-site VPN build with openvpn in server mode at the headquarter and an openvpn router at each branch office.

If one of the branch officies get's compromised, you would like to add the branch office certificate to the CRL, and kick that instance from the openvpn server. You can't wait until the compromised office disconnects on his own, and you don't want to break connectivity with the other branch offices.

/Mathias