On Wed, 3 Nov 2004, Mathias Sundman wrote:

> As OpenVPN gets deployed at larger and larger corporations as a
> roadwarrior VPN server, I think it becomes more and more important that
> it's possible to change as much of the server configuration as possible
> without having to restart the server and causing all users to be
> disconnected.

I agree.

> One thing that I've had to do a few times is adding routes that it beeing
> pushed to the clients. If I put the configuration in a ccd file, I can add
> routes without restarting the server. But if I want to add a route that
> should be pushed to all clients, I need to put it in the main config, and
> then I can't have it updated without restarting the server, right?
>
> How do the future look like for OpenVPN?

I agree that it makes sense to allow more fine-grained control over the
running process.

> Is using a client-connect script to generate default options the way
> this should be handled in the future, or should we solve it some other
> way?
>
> Perhaps we could have a file in the ccd dir named default that could hold
> all the client options that we today put in the main config that will be
> re-read when a new client connects?

That's one option.  Right now, you can handle this by just adding a
"config ccd/default" to each of the ccd files, though having OpenVPN do it
automatically on some file such as "default" would be a trivial
modification.

> I also see the need for being able to "kill" a client instance without
> having to restart the server.
>
> Say that you have a star site-to-site VPN build with openvpn in server
> mode at the headquarter and an openvpn router at each branch office.
>
> If one of the branch officies get's compromised, you would like to add the
> branch office certificate to the CRL, and kick that instance from the
> openvpn server. You can't wait until the compromised office disconnects on
> his own, and you don't want to break connectivity with the other branch
> offices.

Killing a client instance is fairly easy -- the question is how best to
get the signal to kill client instance x into the running OpenVPN process.

This comes back to the idea of having an administrative interface to the
running process via a TCP socket.

James