There shouldn't be any difference in the TAP-Win32 API between 1.6 and
2.0.

Why don't you try running a debugger or add printfs to a working version
of OpenVPN 2.0 so you can see what is being passed in the
TAP_IOCTL_CONFIG_POINT_TO_POINT ioctl -- then duplicate that in your
custom application.

James