(Hi again)

David: you did not "interrupt badly", on the contrary I am glad that
the discussion continued while I was away :-)

Alon: with all due respect to you and your work - which I am sure is
the best way to go in some situations - I believe that you are wrong
on the topic of maximum security...

First of all, what you're proposing is running OpenVPN as a
not-exactly-unprivileged user (let's call it "least privileged user"),
meaning that your user doesn't have 0 right but "only the right to
modify the routing table". The problem is: in your configuration, this
least privileged user has this write *permanently*, as opposed to
starting OpenVPN as root, letting it use privileges during
initialization and as soon as possible drop to a really-unprivileged
user thanks to setgid/setgroups/setuid (which is what OpenVPN does
when you specify the "user" option).

I hope you understand that, paradoxically perhaps, the latter is
really more secure than the former.

As a matter of fact, I'm afraid I would even strongly recommend
_against_ your suggestion, because if some company were to use OpenVPN
on an Internet gateway with your configuration, a hacker would be able
to alter the routing table for the whole company, and hence
transparently redirect employees to phishing websites, just because
your "unprivileged OpenVPN" is allowed to run /sbin/ip with any
parameters at any time (which is a HUGE privilege).

Also, speaking of complexity and ease of use, let's pretend we're
debating over pre-initialization chroot vs post-initialization,
instead of setcon (the SELinux context switch). It is really the same
with setuid, but the difference is easier to understand in the case of
chroot.

Pre-initialization chroot (from the outside of OpenVPN if you will)
would require reproducing the filesystem environment OpenVPN will
need, which means copying /usr/sbin/openvpn
/usr/lib/libpkcs11-helper.so.1 /lib/tls/i686/cmov/libpthread.so.0
/lib/tls/i686/cmov/libc.so.6 /lib/ld-linux.so.2
/lib/tls/i686/cmov/libdl.so.2 /lib/i686/cmov/libcrypto.so.0.9.8
/lib/libz.so.1 /lib/i686/cmov/libssl.so.0.9.8 /usr/lib/liblzo2.so.2
just to get the executable to launch. Then you will most likely need
access to at least one of the /dev, /proc and /sys pseudo-filesystems
which means you will have to `mount --bind` them in the target
directory for your chroot, etc...

Post-initialization chroot, for which the code has been added inside
OpenVPN (see init.c:392 and misc.c:48) requires none of that and
actually does better, as you can have your OpenVPN chroot'ed in a
completely empty directory.

Now, to transpose that back to SELinux, if the setcon code could be
added inside OpenVPN (next to the setuid and chroot code which have
already been accepted as clearly benefiting) it would be possible to
reduce the SELinux policy for OpenVPN from ~100 lines (
http://oss.tresys.com/projects/clip/browser/trunk/refpolicy/src/selinux-policy-clip/policy/modules/services/openvpn.te?rev=13
) to ~10 !!  (basically just the lines allowing network I/O)

I totally agree with you however on the "Keep It Simple, Stupid
(KISS)" principle applied to security. I hope that this /10 cut in the
oh-so-complex writing of a SELinux policy proves to you the benefit of
my patch :-)

On Tue, Jul 28, 2009 at 4:20 PM, Alon Bar-Lev<alon.bar...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I don't understand you guys.
>
> I never said do not use SELinux, or that SELinux does not have advantages.
> I know perfectly what the advantages are.
>
> BUT it is much easier to create profile to unprivileged user that runs
> OpenVPN than a profile of a daemon that needs special rights.
>
> As far as I learned, when security is concerned:
> 1. Make your solution as simple as possible.
> 2. Make the simple solution secure enough.
> 3. Enhance the security using security products.
>
> When you try to do (3) before (1) you get unmanageable solution, which
> in time also results in unsecured solution.
>
> Just my two cents.
>
> Alon.
>
> On Tue, Jul 28, 2009 at 5:05 PM, David
> Sommerseth<openvpn.l...@topphemmelig.net> wrote:
>>

>> Alon Bar-Lev wrote:
>>>
>>> I do not understand, but it looks that two of you are searching for a
>>> solution inside the box, while the solution is out side the box.
>>>
>>> I added the ability for OpenVPN to run using unprivileged user, yes,
>>> please read it as-is, unprivileged user!!!
>>> This means that you don't need any special permission to run OpenVPN.
>>>
>>> How did I manage to do this?
>>>
>>> Simply,
>>> 1. Linux's tun device access may be enabled to a specific user or group.

--
Sebastien Raveau