On Tue, Jul 28, 2009 at 9:59 AM, Alon Bar-Lev<alon.bar...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Why don't you use openvpn in completely unprivileged mode?
> Look at [1] search for Unprivileged mode.
> [1] http://openvpn.net/index.php/open-source/documentation/howto.html#security

What makes you think I don't already? :-)

I do, and it is *not* sufficient as this does not protect against
kernel exploits. If a hacker manages to perform remote code execution
in OpenVPN and thus exploit a vulnerable system call, (s)he obtains
kernel privileges and all of a sudden all your setuid, chroot etc are
useless...

This can be countered with SELinux (and equivalents such as
GRSecurity, RSBAC, LIDS etc) basically by applying access control on
system calls.

Kind regards,

--
Sebastien Raveau